As you deck the halls this holiday season, the Fort Worth Fire Department reminds residents to stay fire-smart. A small fire that spreads to a Christmas tree can grow large very quickly.
Here are safety tips from FWFD:
- If you choose a real tree, make sure it is fresh and green with needles that don’t fall off when touched.
- Before placing the tree in its stand, cut 2 inches from the base of the trunk.
- Make sure the tree is at least 3 feet away from any heat source like fireplaces, radiators, candles, heat vents or lights.
- Make sure the tree is not blocking an exit.
- Add water to the tree stand daily